Re: regrets and a new spin on contexts

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:41:52AM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> >What I like about "lens" is that a lens, almost by definition, somehow alters
> >-- magnifies, distorts, refracts, corrects, whatever -- the view.  As I see it,
> >people are seeing the context from a particular (point of) "view",
> >"perspective", or "angle", but they are seeing it _through_ the "lens".  It is
> >this instrument -- the lens -- that interests us, not the thinking underlying
> >the design of the lens.

> How about:  "context lenses" ?
>
> A context oriented lens is basically a specific kind of view.

Hey, that's not bad!  Together with "corrective lenses", "historical lenses",
and "zoom lenses" -- without getting _too_ fancy with the typology -- I see the
makings of a halfway entertaining presentation.

Tom

P.S. With "a specific kind of view", I don't think you mean to imply that
"context lens" is somehow formally a sub-class of some broader notion of view,
do you?  Just checking.

--
Tom Baker <tom@tombaker.org>