Re: Attempt to provide semantics to Sandro's named graph design

On Apr 11, 2012, at 16:41 , Sandro Hawke wrote:
[snip]

>>> Maybe you're missing Condition 3?   That uses rdf:Graph.
>>
>> Yes, but the only thing that condition does is to define what rdf:Graph means. But none of the other condition refer to it; put it another way, all the other conditions are formulated without a reference to the fact that ui is or is not in rdf:Graph. If so, what is the use?
>>

>>> You could make that a bit stronger, too, making it a biconditional.
>>> That is, it is also true that I(ui)=Gi implies {ui rdf:type rdf:Graph}.
>>
>> Yep, could be done, but does not change what I said...
>
> I don't understand.   rdf:Graph, just as defined in condition 3, is
> absolutely necessary for some use cases, like providing the dc:license
> of a graph.

Well... fine with me. But what I am saying is that, from a Semantics point of view, a label behaves pretty much the same way as a term typed rdf:Graph. At least by the level of semantics which is on that page.

>>> I'd call that the partial-vs-complete graph reference question, but,
>>> yes.   This is one of those cases where people are using DWIM semantics,
>>
>> 'DWIM' ??
>
> Do What I Mean.    That is, people are just using Trig with some
> semantics in mind and in their code which may not be the same as other
> people's.   But see email sent 5 minutes ago that maybe frames this in
> an okay way.

Will look.

Ivan

----