Re: New Proposal (6.1) for GRAPHS

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 09:25 -0700, Charles Greer wrote:
> I really like this solution and it seems to satisfy the use cases
> familiar to me from when I actually worked a lot with RDF in the wild.
>
> One thing I'm tripping over though --  The scope of a TRIG document or
> RDF dataset in effect 'closes the world.'  Is the idea of "merge" only
> within a TRIG document/dataset?
>
> I can only see two ways to really assert a graph literal -- either by
> sanctifying the boundaries of  a dataset, thereby making merges with
> external data problematic, or by signing bytes.  Am I missing something,
> as usual?

There's some misunderstanding here, yes.   Maybe you can talk through
some particular thing you imagine doing, involving merging and TriG, and
I'll be able to pick it up.   From what you've written, I'm confused.

Maybe I can clarifying by translating this TriG document:

into this English declaration:

        The URI 'u1' denotes something, and that thing has exactly one
        associated RDF Graph.   That associated RDF graph consists of

So, perhaps it's more clear, now.  If you merged that with another TriG
document:

Then, trying to accept both documents at onces, you'd be saying:

        The URI 'u1' denotes something, and that thing has exactly one
        associated RDF graph.  In one document that associated graph is
        document that graph is claimed to be the RDF triple "<a> <b>
        <d>".

So, in this case, you can try to merge the documents, but when you do,
you find there is a contradiction, since there is only allowed to be one
associated graph, but in this case there are two different ones.

       -- Sandro