From: Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2024 12:26:45 AM
To: Thompson, Bryan
Cc: Peter F. Patel-Schneider; public-rdf-star-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] The way forward

Bryan,

1.How come, given this:

    <e1> rdf:reifies <<( <s1> :p1 <o1> )>> .
    <e1> rdf:reifies <<( <s2> :p2 <o2> )>> .

you say that we're making statements about a graph, whereas with:

    <e1> rdf:reifies <<( <s1> :p1 <o1> )>> .

we are not? With your notion. how would you make statements about a
graph of only one triple?

Also, would you say that here:

    <john> foaf:knows <jane> .
    <john> foaf:knows <mary> .

we are making statements about the set of <jane> and <mary>? Does
<john> know that set? Does the set contain two persons, or two IRIs?

I suspect that in the sentence "making statements about a graph" there
is an unwitting change of context, from the domain of discourse to its
representation (which are not necessarily different, but quite often).

2. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "making statements about
statements". From [1]: "Asserting an RDF triple says that some
relationship, indicated by the predicate, holds between the resources
denoted by the subject and object. This statement corresponding to an
RDF triple is known as an RDF statement." But then you talk about
triples, and graphs, i.e. sets of triples. Do you consistently refer
to the triple (the encoding) or the statement denoted by the triple
(the expression)? I would say we're making statements about
statements, by asserting triples where the object is another triple.
Many-to-one or many-to-many does not change that.

See also [2]: "An RDF triple encodes a statement—a simple logical
expression, or claim about the world. An RDF graph is the conjunction
(logical AND) of its triples."

Aside: Considering [3]: "An RDF graph is a set of RDF triples", I
don't think this working group is in agreement on whether a graph is
EXACTLY a set of triples (i.e. by definition, these two names denote
the same mathematical concept), or if a graph is a set of triples, but
not all sets of triples are graphs. (And here I do not mean "named
graphs" at all, which is a pair of a name (IRI or bnode) and this
graph notion. Of course, I do not know if that's supposed to mean all
such pairs; but that's hopefully beside the point...)

We may want to address these matters in today's semantics meeting.

Best regards,
Niklas

[1]: <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf12-concepts/#resources-and-statements>
[2]: <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf12-concepts/#entailment>