Re: Different properties related to well-formedness

Le 24/04/2024 à 17:10, Olaf Hartig a écrit :
> Hi Antoine,
>
> I see your point and I am fine with changing the definition such that
> the notion of a 'triple term' refers to an RDF triple in the role of
> being an element of another triple---exactly as we had in the CG report
> (where we used the name 'quoted triple' instead of 'triple term').
>
> Of course, changing the definition of 'triple term' in this way does
> not have any impact on the syntactic properties that I am defining in
> the document (except that the repetition of some of the definitions
> becomes obsolete as you point out).
>
> I have created a PR that implements these changes in the document:
>
> https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star-wg/pull/121
>
> However, let me ask you whether, assuming the definition approach that
> you propose, you would consider a sentence such as the following to be
> formally accurate?
>
> "Let (s,p,o) be an RDF triple in which o is a triple term."
>
> Or would an accurate way of phrasing the sentence be as follows?

In this case, I think the context is clear because we are mentioning the
triple term in the context of a well identified RDF triple, and it is in
fact better at distinguishing the containing RDF triple and the
contained RDF triple.

> "Let (s,p,o) be an RDF triple in which o is an RDF triple."
>
> Similarly, for a triple such as (x, rdf:reifies, (s,p,o)), would it
> still be accurate to say that "x reifies the triple term (s,p,o)" ?

Similarly, I think that in any situation where an RDF triple plays the
role of a triple term wrt a well identified RDF triple, this way of
phrasing is appropriate because not only the context makes it clear what
we mean, but also it makes it easier to distinguish 2 RDF triples under
consideration.

--AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann