Re: A few thoughts on RDF-star, Reification, and Labeled Property Graphs

My post was not an attempt to change the charter of the WG. It is the Neptune position on RDF-star. Our responsibility is to our customers; if we can also support RDF-star, so much better. Our reasoning was this:

1) a reifier reifies only one triple -- this moves RDF and LPG closer to one another (and makes RDF easier to explain to LPG users),
2) a reifier can reify multiple triples -- this moves RDF and LPG further away from one another (and makes RDF harder to explain -- I am referring, among other things, to my earlier comment about the confusion with named graphs).

Perfect alignment will not happen, of course, and I don't even see that desirable. But our proposed model enables us to have the same data and query it using any of the three query languages we support (SPARQL, openCypher, and Gremlin). It would allow us to support RDF-star in OneGraph. Also, an argument like "if you don't like the feature, don't use it" is not useful for technology vendors.

I really liked Felix's comparison to XML and SGML. It captures the spirit of our thinking.

What I would like to know is what those who see RDF as a serious business think about this.

Ora