Re: rdf:reifies many-to-many vs. many-to-one

> On Apr 3, 2024, at 10:43 AM, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a question for clarification. I've noticed a shift to the notation:

> from

> Is there a distinction between the two, or simply a new syntax?

In the CG report, the << :s :p :o >> syntax was used for a quoted triple. Because of various issues with this, RDF 1.2 now uses <<( :s :p :o )>> for a Triple Term, which is intended to mostly be used as an implicit part of a “reifier”. A “reifier” has the same syntax is the CG version << :s :p :o >> and can have an optional identifier, << :id | :s :p :o >> which is effectively syntactic sugar for :id rdf:reifies <<( :s :p :o )>> .

The state of RDF Concepts is in the middle of this transition, we haven’t even agreed on the name of a “reifier”, much less the semantics. N-Triples does not include the reifier syntactic sugar and only supports the use of Triple Terms directly.