Re: prov: namespace terms for PROV-AQ

Graham,

On Nov 6, 2012, at 9:13 AM, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure where we ended up with regard to defining PROV-AQ terms in the prov: namespace.

We agreed to remove the AQ terms from prov-o.owl, and make a separate prov-aq.owl to define the terms from AQ.
Then, all OWL files would be concatenated and made available at the PROV namespace (http://www.w3.org/ns/prov).
The provenance of the concatenation would also be included when requesting the namespace.
The mechanics have not been fully implemented, so this will take some collaboration to finish up.

>  I see that there's a prov-aq.ttl (and .owl) file in the "paq" area of the provenance document repository (apparently created by Stephan), but it currently contains a lot of terms that are nothing to do with PROV-AQ (as well as a few that are).

I dont' recall the details, but that might just be the last copy of PROV-O.owl before we took out the AQ terms.
So, feel free to remove anything in prov-aq.ttl that is not from the AQ note.

> I also see that a number of PRPV-AQ properties are defined, along with annotations:
>
> :aq "http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/tip/paq/prov-aq.html#todo"^^xsd:anyURI ;
> :category "access-and-query" ;

If you don't need those, then clean them out. They were part of the PROV-O annotations that guide the HTML cross reference generation code.

> Am I correct in surmising that this file is intended to provide the OWL descriptions of all terms introduced by PROV-AQ?

Yes.

> If so:
>
> How complete is this document believed to be?

Not sure. Relatively complete? :-)

> Can I assume that the ontology terms introduced here are final?

No.

> Are there any further changes that require PROV-AQ editor input?

It requires PROV-AQ editor review and guidance. We can help discuss and implement things if needed.

> How should I cite the ontology document (currently PROV-AQ references the PROV-O spec, but with PROV-AQ terms not described there, that does not seem like a useful thing to do)?

http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/ says:

[[
The namespace for all PROV-O terms is http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#.
The OWL encoding of the PROV Ontology is available here.
]]

Where "here" will become http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o.owl

So, I suggest that AQ.html links to http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-aq.owl

Ivan is the gatekeeper for getting documents into http://www.w3.org/ns (via CVS)

It was decided that the OWL files NOT be in the /tr path because that would "freeze" them and it would be hard to update.
But we have "free reign" in /ns.

Regards,
Tim