Re: RDF/XML shorthand for RDF reification

On 25 Jun 2008, at 22:48, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
>> The point I was making was that using the shorthand results in the
>> reification node having a real name, i.e., not being a blank node,
>> which
>> messes up lots of things, including parsing and semantics.
>
> Just for the record, how will it mess up parsing and semantics. All
> of our use of reification is for axioms. As I see it, the
> difference would be whether axioms had names in OWL Full (on the
> semantics side) and on the parsing described in table 6 and 17,
> which seem like they could be adjusted to used named instead of
> blank nodes.

Here's a possibility:

Suppose I serialize the same ontology with annotations on axioms
twice using two different serializers, S1 and S2. S1 sorts the axioms
lexicographically, then generates names for the axioms starting from
a seed and prefixing it with the xml:base, plus some urn prfix. S2
also sorts lexicographically, but ascending (whereas S1 is
descending) and uses the same genname function.

Now suppose I merge (or import) these two ontologies. It seems that I
would get some potentially strange results.

Naming axioms should done with *extreme* care.