RE: Differences in current OWL-R DL and OWL-R Full

Hi Ian!

Ian Horrocks wrote on Monday, July 21, 2008:

>Hi Michael,
>
>As I was explaining in my earlier emails, the suggested syntax
>specification for OWL-R does not restrict the applicability of the
>rules,

Yes, I understand this.

>it only provides a sufficiency condition for the semantic
>guarantees currently described in Section 4.4 of the current Profiles
>document; i.e., if an RDF graph satisfies the syntactic condition,
>then the semantic guarantees hold. For graphs outside this set, the
>rules will still derive many useful consequences.

I have to admit that I am pretty lost. So it will be best to come up with a series of questions and comments.

In your initial mail to Ivan [1] you write w.r.t. "conformance":

  """
  we could define conforming OWL-R reasoners as those that,
  when presented with an RDF graph that can be parsed into the
  relevant structural spec, will satisfy the semantic conditions
  set out in Section 4.4
  (http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Profiles#Relationship_between_OWL-R_DL_and_OWL-R_Full).
  """

But I do not understand how conformance can be defined based on the cited criterion. This criterion only talks about a certain semantic relationship between OWL-R-DL (or: the OWL-R specification) and the set of OWL-R rules. How are arbitrary implementations covered by this criterion? In particular such implementations, which are /not/ based on the OWL-R rule set? So, how can I apply the criterion in order to decide, whether a given implementation is conformant or not? It's perhaps an easy technical point which I overlook here, but I simply do not see it.

I have some other issues with the criterion itself. On the one hand, there is the utility of the criterion: It seems to be pretty restricted by only taking assertion data into account. I am not sure whether this criterion is too weak for our purpose, in the sense that it might allow me to change the definition of either OWL-R-DL or OWL-R-Full to a significant degree, without making the stated relationship invalid. On the other hand, I am having trouble to check that the relationship stated by the criterion actually holds. The complicated definition of OWL-R-DL (the asymmetry of subClassOf axioms, etc.) makes it hard for me to see this easily. But these are just first thoughts, and I will need to do further checks on these questions, so let's defer a discussion about them for the moment.

Another point which I wanted to make is on what you said in [1] was an "advantage" of the unification:

  """
  * OWL-R implementations can provide additional functionality while
    still being fully OWL-R compliant because the extra functionality
    won't affect those graphs for which a guarantee of completeness is
    being made.
  """

This is something, which I do not really see RDF people regarding as an advantage, but rather as a mess. :) This sounds like, as if I can add arbitrary rules to the rule set given in the spec, and the result will still be a conformant OWL-R system. Or, in the most extreme case, as if I can produce a system, which simply produces all possible triples from all subject, predicate, and object nodes of triples in the base RDF graph. Even if the base RDF graph happens to be a syntactically valid OWL-R ontology in RDF graph form, the result would be "virtually everything". Calling such a "reasoner" to be OWL-R conformant is simply not a useful characterization from an RDF semantics point of view.

But, perhaps, the notion of "OWL-R conformance" isn't really meant with such a vague and wide meaning. Perhaps, it is much more restricted by the criterion given in sec. 4.4. But this seems to lead back to my first question stated above, so I will wait for your answer, first, to get a better understanding.

[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Jul/0347.html>