RE: A possible way of going forward with OWL-R unification (ISSUE-131)

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:04:33 +0200
To: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
>If (B) implementer chooses #2, can it announce that it is an OWL-R
>implementation? In my view that is not the case, because it cannot
>ensure interoperability with (A). What it implements is OWL-R plus
>something, so to say. It of course correctly handles all bona fide OWL-R
>graphs, but slightly more than that.
>
>My claim is that we have to have a clear reference to what this OWL-R
>plus something is, with a clear identification in the standard document.
>If we do not want to call it a 'profile' but something else, that is
>fine with me. We can refer to it as a semantic subset of OWL-Full. We
>can call it 'OWL-R++', 'OWL-R Full', 'OWL-R/RDF', whatever (the latter
>was the name proposed by Boris).  But there has to be a clear,
>undisputable reference to the 'thing' that this implementation does and
>my claim is that the name 'OWL-R' does not properly cut it. Note that,
>editorially, it can be as simple as giving a clear identification in the
>document for the rule set (it will be part of the document anyway) and
>call it a decent name that one can clearly refer to without looking at
>anything else.

Thanks, Ivan, now I understand the naming issue.

Perhaps, we really should give a name to this "triple-rule thingy". Because, otherwise, it will be the users and implementers who will introduce a name for it. And I'm afraid I can anticipate what this name will probably be...

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe