Re: A possible structure of the datatype system for OWL 2 (related to ISSUE-126)

From: Rob Shearer <rob.shearer@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:13:11 +0100
Cc: "Boris Motik" <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, "'OWL Working Group WG'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
>  Some machine's don't really have single float hardware, instead
> rounding from double float.

I'm not sure that's relevant: all machines can mimic single float
(i.e. the double hardware can do single rounding after every operation).

I'd be more interested in hearing how big a user base double-precision
floats really have. Are many scientific data sets encoded using doubles?

For the record, I'd wouldn't mind requiring double-precision floats
but only 32-bit integers. Minimal implementations of such a spec could
use a single homogeneous representation for numbers in that case.

-rob