Re: A possible structure of the datatype system for OWL 2 (related to ISSUE-126)

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:42:08 +0100
Cc: "Boris Motik" <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, "'OWL Working Group WG'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Rob Shearer <rob.shearer@comlab.ox.ac.uk>

On Jul 10, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Rob Shearer wrote:

>>  Some machine's don't really have single float hardware, instead
>> rounding from double float.
>
> I'm not sure that's relevant: all machines can mimic single float
> (i.e. the double hardware can do single rounding after every
> operation).

Yes. I was suggesting there is little or no benefit to restricting to
single float.

> I'd be more interested in hearing how big a user base double-
> precision floats really have. Are many scientific data sets encoded
> using doubles?
>
> For the record, I'd wouldn't mind requiring double-precision floats
> but only 32-bit integers. Minimal implementations of such a spec
> could use a single homogeneous representation for numbers in that
> case.

Is it that common that current machines have 32 bit integer but not
64 bit integer arithmetic?

I am more concerned about the float than the integer size,
notwithstanding my comments about 128 bit float. In that case I was
thinking about building for the future, and I expect that 64 and 128
bit integer arithmetic will commonly available soon, if not immediately.

Perhaps worth poking around how often xsd:long is used that would be
the motivation for 64 bit.

-Alan