Re: A possible structure of the datatype system for OWL 2 (related to ISSUE-126)

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:43:51 +0100
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org
To: Evan Wallace <ewallace@cme.nist.gov>

On Jul 9, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Evan Wallace wrote:

> Let me go on record as opposing proposals that simple gloss over
> the peculiarities of
> float and double and treat them as reals (thus I am agreeing with
> Bijan's and Michael Smith's
> positions).  I would vastly prefer that we define our own real type
> and use some explicit
> type coercion to compare values across these and other datatypes.
> -Evan

Hi Evan,

I think this is a reasonable position to take. I don't think it would
effect my suggestion for defining the value spaces in OWL, nor the
abandoning the assumption that a certain lexical type is uniquely
associated with a specific value space.

Under Boris proposal, the modification would be to have a type like
Integer, which is a subset of real, in this case, new types
owl:Float  and owl:Double.

However, given that it has been expressed that this requires some
work by developers, would it be possible to give us a case from your
domain in which you would like OWL to behave differently when using a
float value space as compared to a real value space?

-Alan