Re: ISSUE-126 (Revisit Datatypes): A new proposal for the real <-> float <-> double conundrum

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> I'm sorry for the overgeneralization and didn't mean to insult. It's
> just that as much as I think about it, I can't understand the idea that
> the value space of floats and the value space of decimal are disjoint.
> Fundamentally these represent some of the same real numbers and this
> isn't reflected in the spec. In addition, many numbers that can be
> finitely expressed and be calculated with find no place in *any* of the
> value spaces, e.g. 1/3. It is this sense of "mathematical" that I was
> referring to.

The best explanation that I know of was written by Mark Reinhold, a
member of the original schema WG (...and, if memory serves me, was a
member of the team that wrote the Java floating-point spec).

During the development of the Schema 1.0 (i.e., a few years before we
went to Rec) we had MANY discussions about the numeric types, and
especially about float and double.  As part of that discussion, Mark
wrote a note entitled "Floating-point datatypes are not real datatypes"
[1] that goes into great detail on this point.  It also serves as a good
entry point to the archives for the discussions the WG had on these issues.

pvb

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-schema-ig/1999Oct/0025.html