Re: XML schema comments

Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
[snip]
>> The only comment I don't necessarily agree is regarding the order of
>> elements inside assertions. In the Syntax document, we've used
>> the order that is compatible with first-order logic: predicates come
>> before the arguments. Thus, in class assertions we have the
>> class expressions before the individuals, and in property assertions
>> we have the property, then the source, and then the target
>> individual. I'd prefer keeping things this way.
>
> I guess, FOL syntax aside, it depends on the perspective you have on
> what a ClassAssertion means: either you're saying something about a
> class, or you're saying something about an individual. Even though they
> mean the same thing, the former is more intuitive from a FOL/DL
> perspective, but the latter is more intuitive to users (cf. the
> individuals tab in Protege).
>
> I remember Alan mentioning something similar once as well in [1] (though
> I think the PSO vs SPO distinction is less confusing).

I must admit I sympathize with Rinke's, as well as Alan's view[1] on
this. I look at the func. syntax from an RDF user's point of view and,
well, I must admit that I continuously get confused by the order of the
arguments (as well as the names, I must say).

Having said that, syntax is very often a matter of taste, which means
there is no real right or wrong...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/