Re: ISSUE-80 (DL-Lite): REPORTED: DL-Lite

Ok. I see quite a lot of discussion concerning the tractable fragments
document, and I will try to reply to all the issues.

The selected version of DL-Lite is DL-Lite_R. As Carsten points out,
there are other variants of DL-Lite for which reasoning is tractable.
These variants share a common core, but provide different extensions to
this core corresponding to different choices that one has to make in
order to keep tractability. For example, DL-Lite_R extendes the ``core''
of the language with role inclusion axioms. DL-Lite_F extends it with
role functionality of roles and their inverses. If both role
functionality and role inclusion axioms were to be included, the nice
computational properties of the DL-Lite family of languages would be
compromised.

The selection of DL-Lite_R was motivated by the fact that it is a proper
extension of the DL subset of RDF-Schema, which provides role-inclusion
axioms but not functionality, and therefore DL-Lite_R is a language that
lies in between such DL subset of RDF-Schema and OWL Lite.

In any case, I agree that these choices should be discussed and that we
could do a better job in presenting all (or most of) the variants. Also,
as Carsten points out, there is also a distinction between tractability
of reasoning and the fact that query answering can be handled using
RDBMS, and this should probably be made explicit if we are to present
other variants of DL-Lite.

I think we should discuss the alternatives within the WG

Bernardo