Re: Choosing a "short name" for our working group pubs

On Nov 2, 2007, at 1:20 PM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> b) the versioning policy of W3C seems to me to argue against the
> appropriateness of a 1.1 label:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/05/tr-versions
> [[ However, one common expectation when using the major/minor
> version scheme is that, for a given major version number, the
> Recommendation with the highest minor version number supersedes all
> others sharing that major version number. By supersede, we mean
> that authors and implementers should stop using the old version and
> start using the new version; in effect the new version masks the
> old one. The status section of a minor version should state clearly
> that it supersedes the previous minor version. ]]
>
> I do not believe there will be community consensus that OWL 1.1
> should mask OWL 1.0, hence OWL 1.1 seems an inappropriate name for
> a recommendation that evolves from the member submission.

Two thoughts about this.

1) The short name doesn't commit us to a decision about what the
official name of the product is, nor the namespace. The worse that
can happen is that people look sideways a bit at the url.

2) On the question of whether we release OWL 1.1, I'm not sure I see
what you mean by masking. First, in the section quoted it says there
is an expectation, but obviously not a certainty, as it instructs
that the status section explicitly say what the policy is. Further I
don't see this sort of thing happening uniformly -  just because
there is http 1.1 doesn't mean people don't use http 1.0. Finally,
our charter says we are aiming for backwards compatibility. I
completely agree that we need to come to consensus about what we call
the next release, but I'm unaware of options other than having our
current work be a new rev of OWL. Could you set out what you see as
alternatives?

-Alan