Re: telco this Friday

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Philipp Cimiano <
cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  I am afraid I will not be able to attend the ontolex telco this Friday. I
> will now work on the document, so please provide your feedback by email.
>
> I would kindly ask you all to work on the sections in the document
> assigned to you ;-)
>
> Other that that I wanted to clarify one issue regarding language codes in
> the example.
>
> I have seen that some people (John?) have started to use the ISO 639-2
> codes (e.g. "ENG" for English, "SPA" for Spanish etc.).
> I would propose we stick to the ISO 639-1 two-letter ISO 639-1 codes (e.g.
> "EN", "ES") etc. There is no particular reason for this other than the fact
> that most people know these codes.

Yes that would be me, I use the ISO 639-3 codes as they represent the most
complete and usable list of codes. At any rate, this is not part of our
standardization efforts and applications must support well-formatted codes
using any ISO standard

> If the argument is recency and reusing the newest standard, then we would
> have to go anyway for four letter codes according to ISO 639-6.

Erm 639-6 has a different purpose... it is not really appropriate here (and
is equal to 639-3 for standard languages anyway)

> Regarding the particular versions of a language spoken in a particular
> country, I recommend we follow the principle of IETF tags which consists of
> the ISO code followed (if applicable) by a hyphen and the ISO 3166-1 code
> of the country. Thus the variation of English spoken
> in the United States would be: "en-us" while the version of English spoken
> in Great Britain would be "en-gb".

There is a standard for this, namely RFC 5646, and we should follow that as
with all RDF. (It does agree with your proposal here though)

Regards,
John