Re: Meaning and Semiotics - Issues for Modelling

Dear all,

I would like to discuss this at another level. We should first answer the question:

1. Is there any semantic aspect of a word sense (I prefer lexical unit) that cannot be represented in an ontological model?

It may not be easy but I think you can, if you allow semantics in the ontology that incorporates probabilities and prototypicality.
I think that any formalization of lexical meaning can be turned into an ontological meaning, simply because it is a formalization.
if it is not a formalization then the lexical meaning is ill-defined and we need to do more (empirical) work to learn about the word and its usage.

2. Do you want to model any semantic aspect that characterizes a word sense also in the ontology?

This is another question. If we want to model pure logical reasoning, there may be many lexical aspects (not just the pragmatic knowledge) that we do not need
in the ontology. We do not need to represent “buy” and “sell” separately to reason over de financial transaction process.

3. What do we do with the situations that lexicons are far more richer than any ontology available and thus we cannot provide sufficient ontological labels to model the lexicons.

This is a more practical and pragmatic question. If the lexicon is so large, complex and rich, why not use a two-layered solution where lexical relations take the burden off the ontology and the ontology takes the burden of deeper reasoning (need to define how deep we need to go). So in the lexicon, I can say that one word is the informal word for “eat” and another word is the neutral label for “eat”. In the ontology, we just have “eat”. Many lexicalized concepts are either pragmatic variants or can be defined using intersecting
properties as described by Philipp for “bald”.

cheers

Piek

On Aug 10, 2012, at 9:41 AM, Guido Vetere wrote:

> > Philipp Cimiano <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>
> > 09/08/2012 21.56

> > public-ontolex@w3.org
> >
> > cc
> >
> > Subject
> >
> > Re: Meaning and Semiotics - Issues for Modelling
> >
> > Dear John, Guido,
> >
> >  thanks for getting this discussion started.
> >
> > @Guido: I also agree that we need senses, but not for the same
> > argument that you give. I think that polysemy could be represented
> > without the type of object that John calls a "Sense".
> >
> > Take your example "bald" which according to WordNet can mean (among
> > other things):
> >
> > 1) bald, barefaced (with no effort to conceal) "a barefaced lie"
> > 2) bald, bald-headed, bald-pated (lacking hair on all or most of the scalp)
> > "a bald pate"; "a bald-headed gentleman"
> >
> > This could be modelled without a mediating sense as follows:
> >
> > Lexical Entry: bald (adjective) ----- mapsTo ----- Concept: obvious
> >                                              .......... mapsTo -----
> > Concept: hasNoHair
> >

> Philipp, you are right, I should have been more accurate. Working with a legacy dictionary led us to take 'meaning objects' for granted. Actually, if you look at standard lexicography, you can see that reifying the association between lexical entries and concepts (whatever they are) comes from the need of predicating on these relations. For instance, many 'senses' come with specific grammatical constraints, e.g. for nouns, plural is often used to mean something different from a mere collection of individuals, as in Italian 'acqua' (water) and 'acque' (thermal treatments). Many dictionaries (including Senso Comune) also have usage marks, to tell whether a sense (note: not a lexeme) is (presumably) part of the core linguistic competences, or is literary, technical, etc. Note again that this information cannot be attached to lexical entries, unless you don't want to overload homography.
>
> > And coming to your modelling, what exactly is the difference in your
> > view between mapping to a Non-Physical Subclass "Meaning" compared
> > to mapping directly to a symbol representing a concept?
> >
> > For example, if in a given ontology I have the concepts  onto:Human
> > and onto:hasNoHair, I could create the intersection
> > onto:bald = (onto:Human AND onto:hasNoHair) and then specify the following:
> >
> > Lexical Entry: bald (adjective)   ---- has Sense --- bald_adjective-1
> >
> > bald_adjective_1  ---- has Def --- "having a scalp wholly or partly
> > lacking hair"@en
> >
> > bald_adjective_1 ---- hasMeaning ----  onto:bald
> >
> > With this I would have also modelled the "Characterizes ony --->
> > Human part of your representation".
> >
> > However, it seems to me that this only works for intersective
> > adjectives in this way.
> >
> > Let's take the case of the German verbs "fressen" and "essen".
> >
> > They both map to the same concept "TakingInSolidFood" (Wordnet's
> > first sense for "eat"), but they differ in their selectional restrictions.
> [...]

Piek Vossen
Professor Computational Lexicology

T +31 (0)20 59 86457 |  piek.vossen@vu.nl | http://www.vossen.info |
ADDRESS: de Boelelaan 1105, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Disclaimer