From: Philipp Cimiano <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>
To: public-ontolex@w3.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:41 AM
Subject: Welcome to Community Group on Ontology-Lexica

Dear members of the Ontology-Lexica Community Group (resending this email with an appropriate Subject),

First of all, the chairs would like to welcome to everybody on this list. We have by now 29 members in the group, which is very nice. I think it would be nice if everybody could write a brief email introducing themselves and mentioning sth. about their background, what they are working on and why they are interested in this group. This would help everybody to get a feeling for the members of the group.

Further, we have started to produce some preliminary material for the group. As you know, there is a wiki (MediaWiki) that we can all use to work together.

i) You will find the statement of the mission of the group here: http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Goals_and_Scope_of_Ontology-Lexica_Community_Group

ii) You will find a proposal for a schedule that we can use to structure our work. This needs to be thoroughly discussed at one of our first telcos. The proposal of the chairs and other involved people is to start defining use cases from which we can derive requirements on the model later. I think this is a very pragmatic way of kicking of the work that will help us to stay focused and concrete.

iii) We have already added a few use cases that I think are relevant and that the ontology-lexicon model should support: http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Specification_of_Use_Cases; comments are of course welcome. If you have comments on the format of the use case descriptions, please let me know. I think it is important that we have some common format for these use case descriptions and I do think that it is important to make these use cases as concrete as possible (also with concrete examples) to facilitate discussion.

Our plan is to have a first teleconference to kick-off the work of this group. We will arrange this for end of October/early November at the very latest.

In the meantime, I would really appreciate if everybody could introduce themselves.

Best regards,

Philipp.

-- Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
Semantic Computing Group
Excellence Cluster - Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)
University of Bielefeld

Phone: +49 521 106 12249
Fax: +49 521 106 12412
Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de

Room H-127
Morgenbreede 39
33615 Bielefeld

About EAST Team
The Experts for Arabic Semantic Technologies – EAST Team is a start-up entrepreneur project specialized in developing Arabic semantic technology solutions (i.e. Semantic Search engine, Ontology’s, Reasoner, Ontology editor, Arabic standards, Arabic semantic mobile application and Semantic services).
EAST team mission is to create Arabic semantic services based on entities modeling that will unlock Arabic digital material meaning and Its Vision is to see everyone and everything connected semantically 24/7.
EAST Team
Currently EAST Team is in the city of Ramallah the commercial center of Palestine as a startup venture that license solutions and solve domain challenges, working in the field of semantic technology using Arabic and English languages, Mr. Omar Isbaitan is head of R&D team and cofounder.
Mr. Omar is an expert in ICT and artificial intelligence with revolutionary vision of building an aware and conscious machines based on semantic technologies.
In 2009, Mr. Omar published a book entitled “Awareness and Consciousness, Searching the human brain mechanism” that focuses on transforming machines into aware and conscious machine as virtual/real artificial life using NLP and semantic technologies.
	* In 2010, EAST Team won the first prizein the business plan competition in Palestine held by Intel and Palestine Information and Communication Technology Incubator (PICTI) for EAST Team project Dr. Know, published scientific papers: “Arabic semantic web 3.0 Model”, “Arabian National Standards Bodies Role in providing information using semantic Technology”