Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical End User Applications

On 6/24/13 7:00 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 24 June 2013 14:31, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> On 6/24/13 2:14 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:

> You appear to be arguing against the simple useful practice of
> communally collecting information.

I am not.

> Just because we can scatter
> information around the Web and subsequently aggregate it, doesn't mean
> that such fragmentation is always productive.

The simple use of communally collecting information can be varied. To
date, only one pattern has been explored with the same results. I am
simply suggestion an additional approach. I am never one to propose
"silver bullets" since at the core of most of my suggestions lies a
preference for multiplicity, flexibility, and choice.

>   I don't see anyone
> arguing that the only option is to monolithically centralise
> everything forever; just that a communal effort on cataloguing things
> might be worth the time.

It has been worth some time, but it always becomes stale. I am
suggesting we add other approaches that haven't been tried to the mix.
If everyone simply describes their products, services, and platforms
using Linked Data documents we will more than likely realizes that we
can dog-food our way to solving an important and thorny problem.

>> Google already demonstrates some of this, in the most obvious sense via its
>> search engine, and no so obvious via its crawling of Linked Data which then
>> makes its way Google Knowledge Graph and G+ etc..
> -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citation_needed

Google has been crawling DBpedia for years (we do have the logs). I am
sure you've seen the technical reports we produce re. DBpedia [1][2]. I
am sure you know that cannot be a secret since we do publish HTML docs
amongst other formats. It also has Linked Data published via Freebase
which I posted a note about re. deconstruction of the obscured Linked
Data URI [3].

> You've sometimes said that all Web pages are already "Linked Data"
> with boring link-types. Are you talking about something more RDFish in
> this case?

Yes. I am saying, let's dog-food i.e., use the technology we are asking
the world to adopt etc..

> Dan

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/Vie2aB -- DBpedia 3.8 technical report.
2. http://bit.ly/RieuZg  -- older report.
3. http://bit.ly/LFt9al -- Deconstructing Google Knowledge Graph URIs
(note: we'll have an updated unscrambler of these GKG URIs later this
week via a new cartridge/wrapper).

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com