Re: Business Models, Profitability, and Linked Data

On 6/10/13 4:26 AM, Víctor Rodríguez Doncel wrote:

> While attribution may not be hindering any business, it would be nice
> being able to specify in a machine readable form the way it should be
> made...

Yes.

In the case of DBpedia, we do require the exposure of DBpedia URIs in
derived content. This is achievable in a number of ways as outlined in
the project's imprint section [1].

Links:

1. http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Imprint -- covers attribution best practices
re., keeping DBpedia URIs discoverable to Web user agents.

Kingsley

> Víctor
>
> El 10/06/2013 10:18, Leigh Dodds escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Kingsley Idehen
>> <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>>> There have been a few recent threads on the LOD and Semantic
>>> Web mailing lists that boil down to the fundamental issues of
>>> profitability, business models, and Linked Data.
>>>
>>> Situation Analysis
>>> ==================
>>>
>>> Business Model Issue
>>> --------------------
>>>
>>> The problem with "Data"-oriented business models is that you
>>> ultimately have to deal with the issue of wholesale data copying
>>> without attribution. That's the key issue; everything else is
>>> a futile dance around this concern.
>> Why do you think that attribution is the key issue with data oriented
>> businesses?
>>
>> I've spoken with a number of firms who have business models based on
>> data supply and have never once heard attribution being mentioned as
>> an issue for themselves or their customers. So I'm curious why you
>> think this is a problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> L.
>>
>> --