Re: Business Models, Profitability, and Linked Data

On 6/10/13 4:18 AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> There have been a few recent threads on the LOD and Semantic
>> Web mailing lists that boil down to the fundamental issues of
>> profitability, business models, and Linked Data.
>>
>> Situation Analysis
>> ==================
>>
>> Business Model Issue
>> --------------------
>>
>> The problem with "Data"-oriented business models is that you
>> ultimately have to deal with the issue of wholesale data copying
>> without attribution. That's the key issue; everything else is
>> a futile dance around this concern.
> Why do you think that attribution is the key issue with data oriented
> businesses?

Its the key to provenance. It's the key making all contributors to the
data value chain visible.

As I've already stated, the big problem here is wholesale copying and
reproduction without attribution. Every data publisher has to deal with
this problem, at some point, when crafting a data oriented business model.

> I've spoken with a number of firms who have business models based on
> data supply and have never once heard attribution being mentioned as
> an issue for themselves or their customers. So I'm curious why you
> think this is a problem.

And are those data suppliers conforming to patterns such as those
associated with publicly available Linked Open Data? Can they provide
open access to data and actually have a functional business model based
on the aforementioned style of data publication?

If data publishers insist on being attributed by keeping the original
URIs intact, you end up with a virtuous system for data publication that
fits nicely into the underlying essence of systems such as the World
Wide Web.

Kingsley

> Cheers,
>
> L.