--Gannon

 Hi, Frans.

 Just for our records: The
 notion of "geographic identifier" and the use
 of rdfs:seeAlso in LOCN was thoroughly
 discussed back in 2014, in a long
 thread -
 starting at [1] and continuing at [2]. Basically, the point
 is
 that "geographic identifier"
 is meant to model alternative / secondary
 identifiers for a spatial thing, that are
 preferably specified with HTTP
 URIs - for a
 more detailed explanation, see [1] and then [3].

 Coming to the issue you raise,
 Frans, I see it as a more general one on
 how identifiers (not only geo ones) are
 modelled in the RDF world.

 As far as I know, there is currently no
 consistent practice. One of the
 solutions
 is to define specific properties - as in Schema.org, or
 PRISM
 and the Bibo ontology in the
 publishing domain. On the other hand, ADMS
 provides a more generic approach via
 adms:identifier / adms:Identifier.

 IMHO, the point is what you want to use the
 identifier for. For
 instance, if I use DGGS
 just for specifying the location of a resource
 you can use it with locn:location /
 rdfs:seeAlso. Another case is
 whether, you
 want to know the identifier "type" - e.g., for a

 publication, I may need to know which is
 the DOI, ISBN, etc.

 Andrea

 ----
 [1]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-locadd/2013Dec/0043.html
 [2]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-locadd/2014Jan/0008.html
 [1]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-locadd/2014Jan/0076.html

 On 18/11/2016
 17:09, Frans Knibbe wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > A while ago we had a
 thread about Open Location Code
 > <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-locadd/2015Aug/0000.html>,
 > which is an example of a Discrete Global
 Grid System (DGGS)
 > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_Global_Grid>.
 There is an OGC
 > Standards Working Group
 dedicated to the topic, the DGGS SWG

 <http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/dggsswg>.

 > I wonder if the
 Location Core Vocabulary is already equipped to work
 > with DGGS references. It is imaginable
 that people will want to use a
 > DGGS
 code to identify a location, perhaps as the only way to
 locate a
 > thing on Earth. Could such a
 code be expressed with LOCN?

 > The most appropriate property for doing
 that seems to be the geographic

 identifier <https://www.w3.org/ns/locn#rdfs:seeAlso>,
 for which
 > rdfs:seeAlso is taken to be
 the appropriate term. So would rdfs:seeAlso
 > be a good way to refer to a DGGS location?
 Two questions come to mind:

 >  1. I have not studied all DGGS, but in
 the general case I think a DGGS

    reference consists of a code and an indication
 of a DGGS scheme,
 >     which
 is needed to decipher the code. Does that mean a DGGS
 >     reference needs two
 semantic elements? Or is it all right to assume
 >     that all DGGS references
 can always be expressed as a single URI
 >     (e.g. https://map.what3words.com/monorail.section.trespass
 >     <https://map.what3words.com/monorail.section.trespass>)?
 >  2. Will it be obvious to agents looking
 voor location data that

    rdf:seeAlso can be used for an indication of
 location? I mean,

    rdfs:seeAlso is also used for other types of
 relations (I realise

    that this is actually not only about DGGS, but
 about the

    discoverability of location information in
 general, where an

    unspecific term like rdfs:seeAlso is used).

 > So what do you
 think?

 Greetings,

 --
 Andrea Perego, Ph.D.
 Scientific / Technical Project Officer

 https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/

 ----
 The views
 expressed are purely those of the writer and may
 not in any circumstances be regarded as stating
 an official
 position of the European
 Commission.