Re: Insertions

> > data: @xmlns, value+",".
> > xmlns: +"http://example.com/data".
If your output is serialised text, this sidesteps some of the namespace issue.

But if your output is XDM nodes, this should throw well-formed-ness errors as namespace declarations are not attributes, and attribute names starting with [xX][mM][lL] are forbidden (as I understand it).

Perhaps a mark other than '@' for namespace declarations would be an acceptable compromise here?
> But a mechanism that allows for a default namespace binding and no other seems
> pretty limiting and arbitrary to me.

It's only limited to the default namespace binding if colons are disallowed in rule names, right?

Tomos Hillman
eXpertML Ltd
+44 7793 242058