Re: Insertions

> If your output is serialised text, this sidesteps some of the namespace issue.
>
> But if your output is XDM nodes,

I think we might need to talk about what the output of a conforming iXML processor is.

From the spec:

> "An input is parsed using this grammar, and the resulting parse tree is serialised as XML.”
>
> "If the parse succeeds, the resulting parse-tree is serialised as XML by serialising the root node.”
>
> "If more than one parse tree describes the input, the processor must serialize one of them."

Throughout the spec, we talk about serialized XML as the output, but then in the section “Conformance of processors”, we say this:

> "The form in which XML documents are produced is not constrained by this specification; processors should be capable of producing serialized XML as a character stream, but other forms (e.g. DOM instances or XDM instances) may also be used.”

I think we need to be clearer about what, exactly, the ixml processor will produce. Because currently, the main wording of the spec does appear to constrain the form of the vXML output by stating that serialized XML will/must be produced.

We require an output document in the case of failure, so perhaps it makes sense to require one in the case of success?

Very best,

Bethan

Dr. Bethan Tovey-Walsh
Myfyrwraig PhD | PhD Student CorCenCC
Prifysgol Abertawe | Swansea University
Croeso i chi ysgrifennu ataf yn y Gymraeg.