Re: Overide #2 (NA and GA)

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 01:53:56 +0000
Greg Eck <greck@postone.net> wrote:

> OK, thank you.
> Compound proper nouns is our common finding also.
> Greg

If I understand the argument correctly, it is being said that medial
<NA, FVS2> is needed to encode dotlessness.  While I accept that
dotlessness does need to be encoded, I don't accept
ᠠᠯᠲᠠᠨᠤ᠋ᠳ᠋ᠤ ‍(Altanodu) as a valid example.

I believe a relevant, though otherwise less important, example, is the
undotted traditional spelling of ᠠᠨᠠᠷ anar in row 6 of the examples
on pp5-6 in TR170 and in Table 9 of GB/T 26226-2010. The table has me
confused, though.  It implies that in medial <NA, FVS1>, FVS1 toggles
the dotting off, though in Table A of the standard, removing the
dotting from medial NA seems to be the job of FVS3.  TR170 does not
have the equivalent of Table A of the Chinese standard.

Table B of GB/T 26226-2010 does not contain the medial 'separate form'
of NA.  Conceivably, it has been reanalysed as NIRUGU + medial NA.

My objection to 'Altanodu' is that NA should not, without a variation
selector, be dotted before a vowel with an extra tooth.  <O, FVS1>
marks the start of a syllable as well as recording the vowel, and
therefore the previous NA belongs to the previous syllable, and is
therefore dotless.

What happens with GA at the end of the first element of a compound when
the second element begins with a vowel?

Richard.