Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 25.9.2014 7:31, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> > I propose that W3C HTML5 be updated to normatively reference[1] the
> > dated WHATWG URL standard[2] instead of the W3C WebApps WG copy[3].
> >
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/PR-html5-20140916/references.html#refsURL
> > [2] https://whatwg.org/specs/url/2014-07-30/
>
> Well, I'm not on either side of this dispute, but putting the following
> into document:

> Purposes of Patent Lawyers and Government Officials</span></h1>
>
> and then disabling display of some content by:
>
> h1 span + span {
> display: none;
> }
>
> really doesn't help to anything.

I had been asked by the spec's editor to change the spec to make it more
attractive to the W3C. I tried to minimize the changes by only making it a
style sheet change. In retrospect, even this was indeed a mistake, since
the document is supposed to be fixed in time and already has had several
companies' lawyers sign off on it. So I've changed it back, and will leave
it unchanged for all time. Live and learn.