Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:51:08 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org
[snip]
-1.  It may be that someday we will get to the point where there is a way
to make normative references to WHATWG specs from W3C specs, but today is
not that day.  It will take too long to work out the details.
[/snip]

What specifically is there to work out?
http://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references seems pretty clear and
the dated snapshot adequate.  I see the chair of the AB and AB members
supporting this interpretation, unless I am misunderstanding.  Tantek
articulates clear arguments, what specifically are the counter
arguments?