Re: REVERT REQUEST for "crossorigin" attribute

On 06/23/2011 01:38 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2011-06-23 19:31, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:24:01 +0200, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
>> wrote:
>>> I stand, loudly applaud and cheer Julian, then sit back down and shut
>>> up.
>>> He's said it - how does the WG plan to respond to this very real and
>>> honest statement? Are we in Last Call (first, second or 15th?), and does
>>> not that mean that the specification is "frozen" for wider review?
>>
>> It's quite normal for editor's drafts of Last Call documents to change
>> Progress Events specification the WebApps WG is developing.
>
> Yes.
>
> At some point we need to draw a line between bug fixing, editorial
> improvements, and new features. This is a new feature. New features, as
> far as I can tell, require a new LC.
>
> So can we please be frank about the fact that *this* LC really is a
> request for wider review, and that there really is no doubt that there
> will be another LC?

 From the W3C process document[1]:

"In practice, Last Call announcements generate comments that sometimes
result in substantive changes to a document. A Working Group SHOULD NOT
assume that it has finished its work by virtue of issuing a Last Call
announcement."

It is also entirely possible that these changes will block advancement
to Candidate Recommendation without a subsequent Last Call[2]

"Provide public documentation of all changes (both substantive and
minor) to the technical report since the previous step. A substantive
change (whether deletion, inclusion, or other modification) is one where
someone could reasonably expect that making the change would invalidate
an individual's review or implementation experience. Other changes
(e.g., clarifications, bug fixes, editorial repairs, and minor error
corrections) are minor changes."

At the current time, the decision process only requests but does not
require prior discussion[3][4]:

"Therefore during the current pre-LC period, and during Last Call,
feature additions or removals should only be done with sufficient prior
notice to the group, in the form of a bug, a WG decision, or an on-list
discussion."

  - - -

These are all good discussions to have, and I encourage you to have them
either in the context of bug reports against the Decision Policy or by
providing feedback against the W3C Process Document.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to resubmit this revert request focusing on
the technical issue not the process changes you desire.

As an example, I do see "WebGL has some major security issues and this
change is nothing more than addressing the tip of the ice berg while
ignoring the rest. I think it is more dangerous to add than not.", but
if that is more of a position than an argument.  Please explain why you
think it is dangerous, with specifics.  Furthermore, it is not clear
that WebGL is the only intended beneficiary for this change.

> Best regards, Julian

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#last-call
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#transition-reqs