Re: Removing Sections

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> So, jokes aside, when large sections just go away it would really
>> be nice to
>> get an announcement before things just happen.
>
> Exactly.  The bug database is somewhat hidden away - we don't even get
> an email to the list when new bugs get added, just when certain
> attributes get changed.  Having at least some discussion on the list
> allows those of us who don't have the time to manage the 3+
> asynchronous discussion areas for HTML the ability to comment on it
> and provide rationale.
>
> Most changes that go through the bug database don't need such; they're
> either minor or technical.  Bugs being rejected similarly don't need
> such, as the submitted can then bring it up themselves, as they're
> following the bug.  But when a change like this occurs on a bug with
> no discussion whatsoever, it's jarring.
>
> Having to go through the rigamarole of raising issues which create a
> disproportionate amount of work for the WG is definitely suboptimal.

This bug was marked NE, which means the Working Group got email
notification, though for whatever reason this one drew fewer comments
than other potentially controversial removal requests.

At this point, in addition to escalating to the tracker (which was
already done, somewhat prematurely, but we can always just close the
issue if it turns out not to be needed), the bug has been reopened
with new information for the editor, so anyone else who has an opinion
on the disposition of this element can feel free to comment. If the
editor accepts it again, then we can just go through the Change
Proposal process.

Regards,
Maciej