Re: Microdata design philosophies

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> but Microdata has gone out its way
> it seems to ignore, the principle of  "not teaching your grandmother to
> suck eggs" ie Ignoring everything that has gone before it

Clearly this is a contentious subject.... so it is important that
everybody stay on topic.  Accordingly, I would like to ask a number of
things of you:

1) Consider reducing the frequency of your posts.  Six posts in a two
hour span is a bit much.  Give others a chance to participate.

2) Stick to the facts, minimizing editorializing (such as the quote
above, and there are others).

3) At the moment, the topic is "microdata in the html5 spec, or as a
separate spec".  If you really want to make a case for "no microdata,
not even in a separate spec", make that clear (I'd suggest a new subject
line).  But, I'll caution you that that will require a high bar: Neither
RDFa being there first, or being better on some axes, will be
sufficient.  There are plenty of examples of standards bodies
standardizing multiple overlapping solutions to the same problem; there
even are examples within the W3C.

- Sam Ruby