Re: Microdata design philosophies

Hello Sam,

Sam Ruby wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>> but Microdata has gone out its way it seems to ignore, the principle
>> of  "not teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" ie Ignoring
>> everything that has gone before it
>
> Clearly this is a contentious subject.... so it is important that
> everybody stay on topic.  Accordingly, I would like to ask a number of
> things of you:
>
> 1) Consider reducing the frequency of your posts.  Six posts in a two
> hour span is a bit much.  Give others a chance to participate.

Sorry it was a bit much I was just trying to answer questions as they
came, I will try to stem the flow of my posts.

> 2) Stick to the facts, minimizing editorializing (such as the quote
> above, and there are others).

The quote above is one I like to use ill try not to use it again, the "I
don't think you will be landing any planes planes with that"
quote is a reference to "cargo cult science" [1]  microdata is a very
good example of it.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_science

> 3) At the moment, the topic is "microdata in the html5 spec, or as a
> separate spec".

As a separate spec at least.

> If you really want to make a case for "no microdata, not even in a
> separate spec", make that clear (I'd suggest a new subject line).

Oh I don't know about that. Microdata is desirable to some people, it
just needs to be more "micro"

> But, I'll caution you that that will require a high bar: Neither RDFa
> being there first, or being better on some axes, will be sufficient.
> There are plenty of examples of standards bodies standardizing
> multiple overlapping solutions to the same problem; there even are
> examples within the W3C.
>
> - Sam Ruby

Best wishes

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/

"You may find it hard to swallow the notion that anything as large and apparently inanimate as the Earth is alive."
Dr. James Lovelock, The Ages of Gaia