Re: ACTION-95, ISSUE-65: Plan to publish a new WD of HTML-5

On Jan 30, 2009, at 01:01 , Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Earlier, the Process Document says:
>
> "In general, Working Groups embark on this journey with the intent
> of publishing one or more Recommendations. However, W3C may end work
> on a technical report at any time, or may require a Working Group to
> conduct further work, possibly repeating one or more steps."
>
> As I understand it, a Working Draft signals the intent to proceed
> along the Recommendation track, and the section you quoted describes
> what happens if for whatever reason the Working Draft is taken off
> that path. So what Boris said matches my understanding.

Nope. Besides, Karl was quoting form the TR page, not from the
Process. The Process has this to say:

"A Working Draft is a document that W3C has published for review by
the community, including W3C Members, the public, and other technical
organizations. Some, but not all, Working Drafts are meant to advance
to Recommendation; see the document status section of a Working Draft
for the group's expectations."
   -- http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#q73

Then you have:

"7.1.3 Maturity Level When Ending Work on a Technical Report
Working Group Note
A Working Group Note is published by a chartered Working Group to
indicate that work has ended on a particular topic. A Working Group
MAY publish a Working Group Note with or without its prior publication
as a Working Draft."
   -- http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#q75

The section you quote from is called "Advancing a Technical Report to
Recommendation". In context, it doesn't contradict the above. Sorry to
go all Process wonking at you but you brought the process into this,
and I've chaired a WG that was tasked to produce *only* Notes ;-)

> I also see little evidence that a Working Draft sees wider, better
> or more thorough review than an Editor's Draft. In the case of
> HTML5, most feedback has been directly against the Editor's Draft,
> so far as I can see.

Some of us have a different experience with that. But to avoid having
to come up with metrics about whether what type of document gets what
kind of review I'd rather we simply reached agreement on whether one
is more harmful than the other. If you think EDs and WDs get the same
level of review, then surely it doesn't matter to you whichever of
those two it gets released as? :)

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/