Re: ACTION-95, ISSUE-65: Plan to publish a new WD of HTML-5

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Web designers and Webmasters aren't asking for a normative specification
> with lines like:
>
>    aria-dropeffect = "none" | list{ "copy", "move"?, "reference"? } |
>    list{ "copy", "reference"?, "move"? } | list{ "move", "copy"?,
>    "reference"? } | list{ "move", "reference"?, "copy"? } | list{
>    "reference", "copy"?, "move"? } | list{ "reference", "move"?, "copy"? }
>
> ...or:
>
>    date =
>      A valid full-date, as defined in RFC 3339 [RFC3339], with the
>      additional qualification that the year component is a
>      nonzero-date-fullyear.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree.  As a former webmaster of
many years, recently retired, that is exactly the sort of
accuracy that I would have looked for if I were setting out
to acquire a specification for the HTML 5 Markup Language.

I would have no objection to the author additionally presenting
the same ideas in less formal prose, but the formal syntax is
absolutely essential.

Philip TAYLOR