Re: Who is the Intended Audience of the Markup Spec Proposal?

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, 2009-01-26 23:20 +0000:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> >   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/markup-spec/#audience
> Thanks.
>
> With this, I am happy to publish this working draft as a WD.

Cool, thanks.

> However, I think it needs the following changes before
> progressing past WD:
>
>   - How to parse documents that are written using the syntax defined in
>     that document (needed for tools intended to conform to the
>     specification, since otherwise there's no way to know what the tools
>     are supposed to do).
>
>   - The DOM APIs and implementation rules for those APIs, since producers
>     of documents using the features in this specification need those APIs
>     to fully use those features.
>
>   - Definition of the event model and task queue model for
>     implementations, since that will be needed to define the APIs
>     mentioned.
>
>   - The Window object, browsing contexts, and its related APIs, since that
>     will be needed to define the APIs mentioned.
>
> As it stands, the document is not appropriate for its intended audience.

That may well be among the public comments that come back once we
get it published as a WD and it gets some wider public review. I'm
not opposed in principle to it evolving into something with a
broader scope. But for now, I'd really like to concentrate first
on at least getting it more complete within the confines of the
narrow scope I've intentionally tried to constrain it to for now
-- that is, just first defining what a conformant document is.
I've still got a ways to go on it before it can even be that
(e.g., I still need to fill in a bunch of attribute descriptions,
need to add quite a few more "Additional constraints" subsections).

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/