Re: Who is the Intended Audience of the Markup Spec Proposal?

Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, 2009-01-23 15:05 +0100:

>  Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> > Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, 2008-11-19 19:39 +0100:
> >>    Regarding the draft of the Markup Spec [1], it is unclear to me who the
> >>  intended audience of the document is. [...]
> > I agree that clearly defining somewhere the intended audience for
> > any spec is in principle potentially quite useful.
> > But would you say that it's also necessary or useful for the existing HTML5
> > draft to have its intended audience clearly defined somewhere? Or that it
> > also can't be evaluated without such a clear definition of its intended
> > audience?
>
>  The HTML5 spec already includes a section that seems to define
>  its audience,
>  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#audience

Yeah, it does now -- Hixie added it on November 20 (the day after
we had this discussion on the list).

  http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=2423&to=2424
  http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/commit-watchers-whatwg.org/2008/001599.html

It's worth pointing out that for the 4 or 5 years that document
existed prior to that section being added, neither you nor anyone
else seemed to have found it necessary for it to contain an
Intended Audience section in order to read and review it.

> and, although there's always room for improvement, it seems
> fairly clear to me already.

OK, I've added the same text:

  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/markup-spec/#audience

--