Re: ISSUE-54: doctype-legacy-compat

Henri Sivonen wrote on 01/16/2009 08:54:58 AM:

> I think applying the "can live with" criterion to bikesheds is bad,
> because it leads to a race to the bottom as far as language design
> aesthetics go. The problem with "can live with" is that people have
> been taught that the more reasonable person gives up on bikesheds
> first. Of course, reasonable people know that they are able to deal
> with any *one* bad spec outcome--i.e. strictly speaking can "live"
> with any *one* bad choice. But if one always gives up soon on things
> like this, the outcome is bad committee design.

No, the purpose of a "can live with" criteria is to discourage people from
providing input this is based solely on aesthetics.

If there are several options available which nobody has indicated that they
"can't live with", I have no problem leaving the decision as to which of
those several alternatives is to be picked to the editor.

- Sam Ruby