Re: The war of the worlds: HTML vs. RDF

Tom Morris wrote:

> You can do that already with HTML 4 and XHTML 1.x using GRDDL. GRDDL
> no longer works in HTML 5 as the profile attribute has been removed.
> (We get some nonsense about GRDDL still working but just not
> 'requiring' profile. This is nonsense. It's a bit like saying that
> you've taken the wheels off the car but it still works because you can
> turn the engine on.)

I think much of this nonsense has arisen because GRDDL effectively
uses the profile attribute for two purposes, and that has gotten
people confused. By taking care of one of the purposes in HTML5, it
has been assumed that GRDDL will thus work in HTML5; tick it off the
list; done; taken care of.

GRDDL uses the profile attribute firstly as a flag which says "this
page has some GRDDL transformations linked from it". HTML5 has said
that all pages may have GRDDL transformations linked from them, thus
this flag is not needed in HTML5. Fair enough, you can say "this
works in HTML5 without requiring a profile" and that will work. It
introduces incompatibilities between how GRDDL is processed in HTML5
and how it is processed in earlier versions of (X)HTML, which is
annoying (particularly as XHTML does not require a DOCTYPE, so there
is no easy way of differentiating between XHTML5 and earlier versions
of XHTML) but still doable.

But GRDDL uses the profile attribute in another manner: a GRDDL agent
is supposed to loop through all the page's profiles, perform an HTTP
request for each one, and use the data it finds in them. If you say
"this works in HTML5 without requiring a profile" then that is
clearly nonsense. To loop through the profiles, there has to be some
profiles! rel="profile" does work as a substitute here, but again it
introduces inconsistencies between HTML5 and previous versions of (X)
HTML.

This syntax change for linking to profiles seems to be an entirely
gratuitous one: if profiles are going to be allowed, then why change
the syntax for them? As an analogy, there are many very good
arguments both ways for dropping or retaining the <b> and <i>
elements, but to suggest renaming them instead to <bold> and <italic>
would be silly - even if the unabbreviated names would be clearer,
the headaches caused by the syntax change would be massive.
Similarly, rel="profile" does seem like a slightly nicer syntax than
the profile attribute, but that small advantage comes at a cost of
breaking compatibility with existing tools that use profiles.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>