Re: Accessibility of <audio> and <video>

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>> It is when looking at the fallback, that we should be offered the choice
>>> between how we want the video served: as slides, transcript or the very
>>> video.
>> Right, and I'm ok with providing all of that in a way that is available
>> to everyone, and providing it or a link to it from within the
>> surrounding content seems most appropriate for that.
>
>    Perhaps we can provide some attribute values for |rel| along these lines:
>
>  * "transcript"
>  * "slideshow"
>  * "download"

We already have rel="alternate", although it's currently only defined to
mean an alternative for the whole document, and there have been previous
suggestions for rel="longdesc".  However, if the problem is helping
users of assistive technology identify which links are to alternative
content, then it still needs to be demonstrated that:

1. Something like that is actually necessary for solving the problem,
    rather than just providing suitable link text that describes its
    purpose, and
2. That it would successfully solve the problem.

I don't understand the purpose of your "slideshow" and "download"
relationships.  People provide links to download stuff all the time
without the need of any special link relationship.  There doesn't seem
to be a problem with this that needs solving.

> We could then associate such content using the <figure> element:

Agreed.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/