Re: Why "Platform Core" and "HTML5" are in the same spec

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > If they are not final-with-implementations, then there may well be
> > > feedback and editing changes that Nikunj is offering to deal with.
> >
> > Given the small amount of work that is involved here, it really
> > wouldn't help us move the spec along faster. ...
>
> But it would result in a smaller HTML5 spec, and potentially that new
> spec to be published earlier.

The spec is already published, in fact it's been nothing but published
ever since we started five years ago.

If you mean that it might reach REC earlier, then I doubt it, but if that
really did become an issue before next October, I'd obviously happily
change my priorities around get the text split out sooner. Since we need a
test suite and two complete bug-free implementations before reaching REC,
I doubt that this will become an issue any time soon.

> > > If they are final-with-implementations, and can't really be changed,
> > > then it makes sense to split them out and publish them
> >
> > I agree, and would be happy to do that once we have less pressing
> > matters.
>
> It seems that there is disagreement about what matters are pressing.

Getting people's feedback dealt with is my priority. If people have
different priorities, e.g. making a test suite, then they should do the
work to achieve them.