Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> So an attempt to do a split should have the backing of the WG before a
>> significant amount of time is spent.
>
> The working group, as I understand it, backs the splitting out of sections
> from HTML5. In particular, I have not heard any objections to splitting
> out items 1-9 of the following list:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Oct/0127.html

For the record: I didn't comment on that yet, there may be parts in the
list with which I disagree with (funny enough).

> The only thing preventing this from happening is a lack of volunteers.
>

>> The proposal I criticized was not to have a WG decision until a huge
>> amount of time was already spent by the volunteer.
>
> Do you believe that the working group should continue to support an editor
> after that editor has shown a lack of ability to write a high quality
> specification? I certainly would hope that if I started writing complete

No, that's not what I said.

> gibberish in the HTML5 spec, that the working group would oust me. Indeed,
> I am relying on the fact that the working group has _not_ expelled me as
> evidence of continued overall support for my work. If I'm doing a bad job,
> or if any editor is doing a bad job, then the working group had better
> retract their support, or the Web as a whole will suffer.
>
> Do you disagree?

No.

But that's not the same thing as "as good as Ian", or "the same way as
Ian is doing it".

BR, Julian