Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> So an attempt to do a split should have the backing of the WG before a
> significant amount of time is spent.

The working group, as I understand it, backs the splitting out of sections
from HTML5. In particular, I have not heard any objections to splitting
out items 1-9 of the following list:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Oct/0127.html

The only thing preventing this from happening is a lack of volunteers.

> The proposal I criticized was not to have a WG decision until a huge
> amount of time was already spent by the volunteer.

Do you believe that the working group should continue to support an editor
after that editor has shown a lack of ability to write a high quality
specification? I certainly would hope that if I started writing complete
gibberish in the HTML5 spec, that the working group would oust me. Indeed,
I am relying on the fact that the working group has _not_ expelled me as
evidence of continued overall support for my work. If I'm doing a bad job,
or if any editor is doing a bad job, then the working group had better
retract their support, or the Web as a whole will suffer.

Do you disagree?