Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Even if we had consensus on the need for a set of specifications,
> somebody would have to write them. But we don't yet even have consensus
> on the need for a set of specifications (Ian, Maciej, Boris and others
> acknowledge potential value of orthogonal specs, but don't consider it
> critical nor preferable to one spec that Ian can more efficiently and
> correctly produce), so doing some writing is essential to demonstrating
> the feasibility and value.

Furthermore, note that we do actually have several specs already. There's
the Workers spec that I consider part of the HTML5 lanuage and its APIs,
the XMLHttpRequst spec that was split out from HTML5 a few years ago, the
"monolithic" HTML5 spec that contains everything else currently written
in this context, and once we can find volunteers, there's the list of
sections that are awaiting being split out:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Oct/0127.html