Re: <q> Research & Conclusions

Jim Jewett wrote:
> <http://projectcerbera.com/web/study/2008/quotes#pt>
>
> "95 entries in 3 categories." but I only count 59 (and 59 does show up
> elsewhere on the page).

The page has 3 categories. Each starts with an <h2>:

1. Philip Taylor's <q> Collection (59 entries)
2. Quoted Text (5 entries)
3. Quoted Blocks (31 entries)

Hence, 95 entries in 3 categories.

Jim Jewett wrote:
> Also, the 50 incorrect was 26+23; was there another somewhere?

Ah, I re-categorised an incorrect one to being correct but forgot to
re-calculate all the affected values. Corrected them now. Thanks for
reporting the mistake.

Jim Jewett wrote:
> Also, of the eight that are correct, I note that the first was the
> Opera CTO, who is certainly far more standards aware than most
> authors.  And to be honest, even he was using it for titles, rather
> than normal quotations.

The <q> I counted is in page content and is for a quoted run of text:

[[[
<li>In 1999 Technology Review put me on their <a
href="1999/1999TR100.pdf">TR100 list</a>, <q>a group of one hundred young
innovators in technology from around the world</q>. The <a
href="1999/xmas/sloyfe2.jpg">gala dinner</a> at MIT was stylish.</li>
]]]

There is another <q> which is commented out:

[[[
<!--
<li>(2005-03-16) <a
href="http://news.com.com/The+Acid2+challenge+to+Microsoft/2010-1032_3-5618723.html?tag=nefd.ac">The
Acid2 challenge: can Microsoft deliver on promises?</a>. The CNET editors
shortened the title to <q>The Acid2 challenge to Microsoft</q> which changes
the tone slightly. I prefer the original.</li>
-->
]]]

My analysis only includes markup users can receive. This includes normal
markup and scripts which write to the page but does not include comments.

--
Ben 'Cerbera' Millard
<http://projectcerbera.com/web/study/>