Re: Black-box equivalence of parsing fragments directly into context node

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> The new spec text doesn't look acceptable to me.  Pages (and in the case
> of Firefox also extensions, though that's obviously a smaller concern in
> this context) in fact rely on mutation events firing for all page
> mutations after onload.

Ok... Could you clarify exactly what mutation events, and in exactly what
order and how, should fire in response to particular mutations? In
particular, what events should be seen for document.write(), innerHTML,
insertAdjacentHTML(), outerHTML, and execCommand('insertHTML'), in both
HTML and in XML?

Jonas recently said that he was considering dropping mutation events
altogether, which is why I ended up speccing that none fire for all this,
and the working group working on mutation events is currently redesigning
how they work in general, and IE8 doesn't support them at all, so I'm not
really sure what I can rely on in terms of working out how they work or
how to spec this out.