Re: Black-box equivalence of parsing fragments directly into context node

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Ok... Could you clarify exactly what mutation events, and in exactly what
> order and how, should fire in response to particular mutations? In
> particular, what events should be seen for document.write(), innerHTML,
> insertAdjacentHTML(), outerHTML, and execCommand('insertHTML'), in both
> HTML and in XML?

I don't think the document.write case is relevant, since that doesn't
happen "after onload".

For the others, conceptually treating the mutations as equivalent to a
DocumentFragment containing the nodes being inserted at the relevant
place would make sense to me, personally.

Note that dropping mutation events altogether would also involve
removing the feature strings claiming support for them (if any), as well
a failing UA-capability testing for mutation events, so would actually
be somewhat safer than supporting them in some places and not others in
terms of compat with pages that conditionally use them in UAs that
support them.

-Boris