Re: Translation control in HTML5

[Just for completeness of the thread, here my mail to Jirka from
2008-07-31T23:38+02:00 again.  I am afraid it was not delivered to the
list the first time.  Jirka's answer to this mail can be found at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jul/0447.html>.]

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> Language and translatability are orthogonal, they should be specified
> separately. For example imagine sentence from German travel guide written in
> English:

> If you will translate this sentence to French, you of course do not want to
> translate "Prost" but you still want to preserve that it is in German
> language so things like hyphenation or stemming in full-text search could
> work.

Very good point.  lang="only de" would also work here while even being
less verbose, but it would break existing implementations.  I am still
a bit unsure which solution I like more, but I also tend to prefer
@translate.

-david