Re: Translation control in HTML5

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Jirka Kosek wrote:
>> Moreover, having separate lang and translate attributes will be much
>> more friendly to CSS selectors.
>
> That's certainly an important advantage of keeping these in separate
> attributes, yes. We have to balance all the various pros and cons in
> coming up with a solution (assuming we want to address this use case).

What use cases are there for needing to style an element differently
based on whether or not it can be translated?  Is it a problem we should
give much weight while evaluating possible solutions?

Besides, with either proposal, attribute in Selectors are usable. For
translate="no", using [translate=no] works.  For the lang="only en-AU"
suggestion, [lang^=only] or [lang~=only] work.  It's also reasonably
easy to write selectors for the other various suggestions.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/